Wednesday, October 31, 2007

A great entertainer, horse trainer, and a dear friend will be missed.

A dear friend of the world has passed. On Oct. 6th, 2007 Gaylord Maynard was taken from this earth where he will forever be remembered in our hearts and laughter. He was truly a man of incredible talents. For those fortunate enough to see him perform, you know how he loved to make people laugh. I was in and saw his comedy act hundreds of times, and I couldn't stop laughing. Even when I was the "vamp", he would try hard to get me to crack up while I was on stage. He never did it to be mean or to make me look bad, he did it because he knew it put me in the right frame of mind to perform. You really had to concentrate, and he would always have me smiling the entire act. It was his way of keeping us on our toes and getting the best he possibly could from us. I learned a lot from this man. He had wonderful ideas and always took the time to share his wisdom. He will always be the man entertainers aspire to be. He was humble and never took his audiences or his animals for granted. He is a legend in the entertainment community and will be missed greatly. Here is a photo of me and Gaylord taken at Arabian Nights. This was my favorite part. I get to hit Gaylord with the blanket! He would whisper to me, "Give it to me baby!" and I would hit him good.

Here is Gaylord with Chief Bear Paw III. Gaylord was an incredible horse trainer. They don't make them like him anymore. Tommie and I learned alot about horses and the business from Gaylord, just being around him and how he kept his eye on his horse, the audience, and could roll with whatever happened. He will certainly be missed but not forgotten. Every time we hit the stage, we will always think of Gaylord Maynard. God Bless. See you on the other side.
Ride Fast... Take Chances. karen

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen
I am so glad you wrote about Gaylord, I feel the same way, I was very bless to work with Him, Tommy and you,that was my dream came true,Gaylord and me became better friends after I worked there, we share couple breakfast and dinners together as friends, out of Arabian Nights enviroment, he was a real gentlemen and a great human been.

THank you Karen,and Tommy for sharing your knowledge, and for teach me to be a better horse lover and specially to always be SAFE on all what we do, not just on horses but in life.

I check your blog and Web page at least 5 times a week(almost every day)hahahah.

It made me very happy see your progress, and you guys deserve that and a lot more keep that positive attitude and sharing your time and knoledge .

I always whatch the old videos of you and my brother on the latin act (my favotite act with you guys on it)and the Roman Riding and Charriot races with you guys on, was extreme.

I think those shows were the best ever there.

Well I dont write much but you are always on my thoughts, be safe and hopefully I will see you soon.

George Cordova
Please my regards to Jamie and Tommie from me.

Tommie Turvey performs with Pokerjoe