Thursday, August 18, 2005

Rescued a Little Dog

Recently driving home in Clermont I drove down my road by the lake and saw this little dog hopping on three legs in the middle of the road. My first reaction was the doggy got hit and was running away scared. With all the development in the area the road was quite busy with traffic and it was 5:00pm to boot. I drove up about 10 feet behind the pooch and he kept hobbling along in the middle of the road, so I quickly stopped my car in the middle of the road, put on my flashers, jumped out and ran to get the doggie out of harms way. In the 30 seconds it took for me to catch the pup, the 6 or 7 cars behind me started beeping their horns and two of them drove around my car in the left lane and flew by me and the pup with no regards to what was happening. I guess they were in such a hurry to get home after a long day at work. I'd hate to imagine what would have happened if those cars would have gotten to the doggie before I did. The lady directly behind me gave me a nice wave to let me know she didn't mind waiting the extra minute to save the dogs life. We brought the dog to our house to check out, but he didn't seem to be in any pain with his leg. We then drove the neighborhood asking if anybody knew the dog. After about an hour we saw this couple who lived about 300 yards down the road where I picked the dog up, crossing the street and looking around the bushes. As soon as we drove up the ladies face went from concern to pure joy! They told us the dog had a bad leg from birth, so we were happy that it wasn't hit by a car. They thanked us and said I was an "angel" watching over their dog. They were worried because of all the speeding traffic going by. After we left, I had this really good feeling inside. After thinking about it, it was pretty dangerous doing what I did, but sometimes instinct takes over and you have to do what you have to do for someone or something that can't do it for themself. I have two doggies and hope someone would do the same if they were in the same situation.
Ride Fast... Take Chances!

No comments:

Tommie Turvey performs with Pokerjoe