Monday, July 02, 2007

Dolly is on her way!

Here is me and Dolly!

My parents and sister are almost at the facility. They are 90 miles away. They are driving up from Orlando for the summer and they are bringing my favorite horse, Dolly. She is retired now, but she was my trick riding horse at Arabian Nights in Orlando. She was born in 1982 and worked at Baseball and Boardwalk before she was bought by Arabian Nights in 1988. She performed every night for 15 years until her retirement from showbiz, which was in 2002. My parents took her in and have been letting her live her life just being a horse. They have taken her to events like the Mardi Gras at Universal Studios and have ridden her in many parades. She loves to work and be with people, but she also has earned her time to sit and eat grass all day in a pasture. What keeps a horse going is having a job and Dolly is a prime example of a horse doing something she loved to do. We don't want her to over do herself now, so we limit her "performing" time, but she just brightens up when ever she gets in front of a crowd. To me she is a star in her own right. She is a true performer. I can't wait to see her. Below is a photo of Dolly and Kim Cincotta, who also an amazing performer at Arabian Nights. Here is me and Dolly after the show. I would do alot of trick riding on her and really get her going, so after the show I made sure I took good care of her. They used our photo during Breyerfest for the card and we are also featured by Brandy Parfum. Fred Pignon (of Cavalia)also did a wonderful drawing of me and her in action that I cherish. I've got lots of carrots for her too when she gets here. Welcome Dolly! Ride Fast... Take Chances! karen


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mom and i saw an Arabian Nights show.Tommie and Karen were not there. I really enjoyed it but some of the tricks were almost fake. You could really see the people cueing the horses. Tommie and Karen make it seem like the horse is actually playing it's role because their cues aren't as noticible.

Karen Turvey said...

Thanks for the comments and reading my adventures on the blog. Tommie and I always strive to make the horse shine when on stage. We do everything we can to let the horse be featured, so we do as much as possible to keep the attention on the horse. They are the true beauty of the show. Show business with horses is very hard. Not only do you have to remember what you are supposed to do, but you have anticipate and react to what your horse is doing and try to make it look easy to the audience. With so many brains involved at times it is very hard, but to know your horse and his/her capabilities is what makes a great relationship. Hope you get to see us in a show soon. Let me know where you live and I will let you know when we will be near so you can come and see Tommie and I perform. Thanks again! Ride Fast... Take Chances!
karen

Tommie Turvey performs with Pokerjoe